JOIN US at MN HOSA’s MRC Camp October 10-12, 2013
“EMERGENCY * RESPONSE * ACTION”
Partners in Action: MN HOSA MRC, MN National Guard, MN Highway Patrol
Location: Camp Ripley- Little Falls, MN
Registration: $25.00/ person
Registration: Online- www.hosa.org (must be HOSA member) Open- September 5th
Prerequisite: Online- NIMS Curriculum IS-700a (http://training.fema.gov/emiweb/is/is700a.asp )
Deadline- September 17th
Name of Project: “Build People – Build a Task- Build MN HOSA MRC
Focus: Connecting Youth with Disaster Preparedness- Build Membership- Promote Leadership
Information, training and development of a specialized team of youth volunteers within MN HOSA to address disaster preparedness, reduce the risk and understand recovery.
- To prepare community emergency service roles while working with youth in areas of education and promotion of good health and safety.
- To foster community change in growth of members through connecting youth with Public Health initiatives in preparing and presenting educational services to peers and communities.
- Add value to member’s leadership roles in life by teaching and discovering how to use their talents in preparing others for disasters in their homes, schools and communities.
- Reduce stress in members by receiving knowledge and training of disasters and recovery through the education of others involved in Emergency situations.
Impact: This project will introduce students in disaster preparedness, foster community resiliency, and build leadership skills through education, training and connections with other emergency response partners. This is to lead to student’s confidence to go into their communities to teach others on being prepared making communities ready and safer in the time of possible disasters.
Training will follow the goals stated in the MN HOSA MRC Unit application- including but not limiting educational opportunities:
- CPR & First Aid
- Psychological First Aid
- IS 100, 700
- DRAT (Disaster Response Action for Teens)/ Plan 9
Day 1- Thursday- Deployment / Training
- 1:00 pm Bus to deploy at determined sites in Metro area
- “Train as you Deploy”- Training assignment on Bus to be completed by arrival.
- 3:00 pm Arrival at Camp Ripley
- 5:30 pm Dinner
- 6:30 – 8:30 pm General Session:
- Introductions /Announcements / Professionalism and Leadership in a Disaster
- Orientation to MN HOSA Medical Reserve Corps
- 8:45 pm – 10:30 pm Open time- Rec Center
- 11:00 pm Curfew- to barracks
Day 2- Friday- Training/ Response
- 6:30 am- 7:30 am Breakfast
- 8:00 am- 12:00 pm Medical Training: CPR/ EMT/ SIMS (determined on level of pre-training.)
- 12:05 pm – 12:40 pm Lunch – Pizza
- 12:45 pm – 3:15 pm NIMS 100/ Disaster Drill
- 3:15 pm – 5:00 pm Careers in Emergency Management/Action (Exhibits/ hands on demos)
- 5:15 pm 6:15 pm Dinner
- 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm Psychological First Aid and DRAT (Disaster Response Action for Teens)
- 8:30 pm 10:30 pm Bonfire/Rec Center (TBD by weather)
- 11:00 pm Lights out
Day 3- Saturday- Review / Action
- 6:30- 7:30 am Breakfast
- 7:30 am – 8:30 am Bunks cleaned/ personal items stored. Personnel Walk through
- 8:40 am- 9:30 am Debriefing of Camp- Discussion Groups / Disaster setting and response
- 10:00 am – 10:50 am Orientation to HOSA/MRC – How to be a MN HOSA MRC rep/? Register on computers for MRC membership
- 11:00 am Evaluations completed
- 11:15 am Lunch
- 12:00 pm Busses Depart
Certificates, Emergency kit, membership and t-shirt for all participants